Thursday, November 05, 2009

Letters To My Future Husband: Letter #54

Dear Mr. Melissa Blake:

Our wedding day is the day I've mentally marked on my invisible calendar - you know, the sort of calendar you carry around in your head, knowing you'll never forget the dates on it.

Does that make any sort of sense? Remember a few letters ago when I almost said I hated you? Well, I've calmed down a bit now and am seeing things a bit more clearly.

I've been trying to look at things differently lately, from a more positive perspective. I figure it could only help my disposition, and maybe even get us to our first meeting even faster.

I've had quite a few people tell me lately that I'm getting ahead of myself. That love isn't how it is in the movies, in Disney fairytales. That it takes work - lots and lots of hard work - and effort.

I get that. But I don't ever want to become that jaded and cynical about anything, either in love or in life. How tragic of an existence that would be. I don't ever want to be afraid to love, to recoil from it in fear.

So are people right when they say I am getting ahead of myself? Honestly? It's not like I have anything to compare love or an actual romantic relationship to, you know? My parents had the happiest marriage I've ever seen. The same with my grandparents, all my aunts and uncles and practically everyone else I've ever met. I've grown up to believe in that fairytale because I've never known anything different. Had my parents divorced or had I gone through a bad breakup (which I'm pretty sure I'll experience a few times before you and I meet), perhaps I'd feel differently.

There's something inherently exciting and exhilarating about knowing something is destined for your future, but being completely unaware of how it will happen and when it will come to you, you know?

It all boils down to a matter of perspective. Life isn't a picnic either, but I wouldn't miss eating grapes on a grassy knoll (yes, even in the rain, under a tree) for anything. Would you?

[Photos via My Secrets] and Le Love]


Couture Carrie said...

Very sweet!


Kelly@TearingUpHouses said...

I agree, that there is nothing more exciting!


Anonymous said...


Cafe Fashionista said...

This is so sentimental and heartfelt. Absolutely loving it! :)

Jaime said...

Interesting series :)

Thanks for visiting my blog!

Alicia said...

you'll find him! ;)

ps: you are such a great writer!!

Rebecca, The Clothes Horse said...

Beautiful note. I wish I had a more clear sense of destiny...

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin