Monday, February 10, 2014

An Open Letter To My Body

Dear Melissa's body:
Hello there -- here we are. We meet again. Well, we're never really apart, obviously, but it's not often that I actually take the time to reflect on our relationship. At least, it's not something I've spent a lot of time doing lately, anyway. And, really, maybe that's my mistake. In the past, I used to "check in" quite regularly. I mean, I wrote about you for xoJane. I talked about you in Video Hellos. I've criticized, critiqued and celebrated every part of you. But sometimes? It still feels like we're on different teams. I know that probably sounds crazy -- how can we be on opposing teams when you're me and I'm you. And yet, it's all too true sometimes. Most of the time, I can look in the mirror and smile at what I see staring back at me. After all, I've worked hard to come to terms with my disability and its place in my life. I won't pretend like it's been an easy journey because, as you know, it hasn't been. It's been a lot of give and take, a whole bunch of back and forth. So, yes, sometimes I can't help but smile when I see just how far we've come.


But other times? I can't help but feel like we've got a lot more work left to do. Does everyone feel that way? I suppose it's natural -- I mean, we're our own worst critics -- and sometimes, you just can't help comparing yourself to other people. I do want to apologize for that, though. Because that's not really fair to us. Maybe I need to be a bit more gentle with myself and cut myself some slack when it comes to loving myself and my body. I'm sorry for all those times I've called you "fat." I'm sorry for all the times I made you feel like ugly was all you were. I'm sorry for all the times I made you feel like your physical appearance determined your worth. It wasn't fair. And it will never be fair. So, on that front, yes, we still have some work ahead of us.
I don't mean this to sound depressing because I'm not trying to be. I promise. Maybe I'm trying to show you that I'm continuing to grow and am inviting you to keeping walking with me on this path I'm on. I think that if we joined forces, we could be a pretty powerful team, don't you think? Dare I say it...we'd be unstoppable. If nothing else, please remember just how much I love you. After all, we're all we've got. Let's stick together, OK?? xoxo

[Second photo via We Heart It]

9 comments:

  1. hey! lovely post :)

    http://sbr-fashion-fashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talking to your body like you're talking to your best friend is a great idea. I say 'good morning, Me" to my body every morning and try to make promises that I sometimes actually keep.... You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is something so many of us can identify with - the struggle to be happy with our bodies and really celebrate it! An open letter is a fabulous idea. We may not all love every bit of our bodies, but we can celebrate what we do love and be satisfied with it!

    xoxo,
    Chic 'n Cheap Living

    ReplyDelete
  4. So well written. We're all in this situation...love/hate/love again. We seem to look too closely at ourselves. I wonder what people see when they look at me...certainly not what I see. But I see everyone as beautiful in one way or another. We're all beautiful...it is what it is and we can't change it. It's a constant struggle for women. Men don't seem to care as much...or at least they don't show it or express it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. VERY POWERFUL TEAM !!! You are very wise and sweet and evolved they way we do after our 30s and more and more with each decade :) God bless you for INSPIRING us and making us realize our worth is in our hearts- not our outer exterior :) ox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post girl! I've been away from blogging for a while, I've really missed reading your posts! I can relate a lot to this one. Very honest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Michelle -- I've missed you too! Welcome back! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!

xoxo

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin